Saturday, November 6, 2010

Before and After

A short post - what the hell?

Anyhow, I finished this painting, and I thought it might be interesting to compare the painting with the rough original thumbnail:


Some paintings stay closer to the thumbnail, some stray farther. In this case, the thumbnail was closely inspired by the personality of the model, the wonderful Claudia, and Claudia was able to hold a pose very close to the idea. So what do you know - it was consistent start to finish. I'm really happy with the final painting: Living Things Came From Her, oil on canvas, 60"x40".

As if you needed reminding, check out her blog, Museworthy. It's a terrific chronicle of a life spent participating in and thinking about art. It's a privilege to work with someone so excited about the work at hand...

9 comments:

  1. Daniel, let me be the first to say congratulations on a spectacular painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well damn, Kevin - thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine painting! That ivy was a commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel,

    It came out so magnificent. And yes, the process was really consistent from beginning to end in spite of air conditioning issues, rainstorms, my tardiness (once or twice!), and a vicious sunburn!

    It was truly one of the best collaborations I've participated in as an art model, and I look forward to doing it again whenever you're ready friend!

    Love, love, love the painting. It makes me smile. I know we're both very proud of it :-)

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. McG - thank you! It drove me *nuts.*

    Claudia - Wow! Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to working with you again too - you are *so* much fun to talk with, apart from the amazing modeling. I'm glad you're proud of it; on my end, I think it's one of my best paintings. Thank you so much for all the fun and inspiration. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea you used to be a math teacher.*

    *Math teachers are famous for their horrible puns.**

    **I have a math teacher friend, who has a hint of this tragic weakness, whom I'm trying to talk into writing up a guest post of her fascinating thoughts on the issue of the role of reason in 19th and 20th century thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a magnificent painting. Interesting relationship between realism and almost decorative ivy work. Earthly mother goddess...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophie - thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I was hoping that very combination - the realism of the figure versus the near-graphic background - would work. She has an earthly mother goddess vibe in person too! I'm happy you think I caught some of it in the painting.

    ReplyDelete